Design Management. How and how much money do I earn for my work? (Closed course)
When we get an assignment, while the client is explaining us the brief, ideas and come to our mind, the machine starts working. We arrive to the studio, we look up for referents, we conceptualize and we start to design… In a few days we will share with the client the concept, our first proposals… but when do we talk about money? We are not businesspeople, we are designers. The fees and the project management seem secondary. However, if you are a freelance designer or have a small studio, you are a businessperson.
Dissenyadors que afronten els seus primers pressupostos ja sigui com a freelance o des d’estudis petits.
Students must bring their laptops to work in class and do work dynamics. The laptop must have installed some calculation sheet programme (Excel or similar).
- To understand that working on a brief, contrabrief, making a working plan, calculating your price per hour, the budget, presenting it to the client and getting it approved are phases that should happen before starting to design.
- To learn how to manage a design assignment before and during the design process.
- To study how a good design management is key for the projects to be made in a specific time, to be profitable, well-valued by the client and as a whole, a positive experience.
Structure and Contents
Sessions will have a first part of content where we will explain the working and shared tools that later in the second part students will apply them in their personal projects.
- Brief and Contrabrief
- Working plan
- Calculation of the price per hour
- Budget calculation
- Presentation to the client
Product designer. Graduated by ELISAVA in 1988. of Arts (BA) ELISAVA Winchester School of Arts (Southampton University) 2012. Professor at ELISAVA in Degree, Postgraduate and Master studies. After working in several studios and in design project management in COOB’92 (Organizing Committee of Barcelona’s 92 Olympic Games), he directs his own design studio since 1997 making Branding, Graphic Communication and Packaging projects.