Master in Furniture Design
Master’s Degree in Furniture Design, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering.
Two editions per year starting in September and February. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
From 5 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
Spanish. Some materials or lectures will be in English.
Year 2018-19: 9,400€ (plus 500€ registration fee).
Year 2019-20: 10,000€ (plus 400€ registration fee).
• University degree or university graduate degree in Architecture, product engineering, product or interior design.
• High level of Spanish.
• Proficiency and autonomy in the use of 2D or 3D design or planning softwares
How can we create furniture capable of meeting the domestic or work environment needs? What is the language and the basic references to innovate?
The Master in Furniture Design develops, specifically, professional practices that configure the profession of "furniture maker" or furniture designer. This discipline has some peculiarities that differentiate it from other design specialties. It requires knowledge of a language and its own references, which are present in each piece of furniture, a code refined over time. This allows us to communicate uses and attitudes, while effectively offering solutions for those objects that shape the relationships in our domestic or work environment.
This immersion in the reality of the furniture, from both the present and the past, opens the doors to the industrial reality of a sector that is today one of the references in the production of avant-garde objects. With its own fashions and trends, new materials and technologies, it allows us to move forward and innovate.
The Master identifies and connects different professional profiles. The tasks and projects to develop respond to realistic proposals. The teachers responsible for counselling students and monitoring projects are professionals, and the various speakers and scheduled visits respond to this same spirit.
The master's degree is structured in two postgraduate courses that allow us to have a comprehensive view of the sector. In the first place, in the "hábitat" part, it is addressed the resolution of the equipment for the domestic space, and, secondly, in "contract", the specific furniture for installations, collectivities and urban elements.
The development of this Master focuses on intensive work in various projects to achieve the following objectives:
- Enable students to work in a group or in collaboration with technical offices, adapting to new situations and evaluating the specific needs of a client based on the analysis of their catalogue and product.
- Incorporate the different techniques and methodologies that allow projecting without gaps or mismatches between the conceptual and constructive aspects, developing in turn the specific practices that make up the profession.
- Acquire expert observation habits to detect past and present attributes, which determine the characteristics of the codes that allow us to identify innovative solutions or objects.
- Achieve an advanced knowledge of the sector identifying the reference manufacturers and designers, as well as the current lines or trends, anticipating the future scenarios and uses.
- Know and master the specific formal language of the sector to establish a fluid and coherent dialogue with the user, properly incorporating the desired attributes in the developed projects.
- Know the processes, technologies and materials, as well as the auxiliary industries involved, to generate real innovation in the industry, providing viable and technically and commercially realistic solutions.
- Consolidate a Portfolio, with the projects developed in the Master, that shows the competences acquired by working on specific aspects for each student such as the personal brand.
- Mastery of the product design tools; tools oriented to the furniture industry; conceptual and methodological tools; knowledge tools of techniques of representation, processes and associated production materials; which can be used in:
- Furniture projects for industrial and manufacturers of domestic furniture.
- Tailored furniture projects for homes.
- Industrial furniture projects for collectivities.
- Urban furniture projects.
- Upholstered furniture projects.
- Projects of unique furniture elements which are representative for collectivities.
- Lighting projects.
- Mastery of the formalization and associated codes in projects applied to different disciplines.
- Mastery of work phases and professional project planning.
- Mastery of competences to develop projects in work groups.
- Use of the necessary resources and codes to communicate with the different agents involved in the process (clients and collaborators).
Management and teaching staff