Master in Product Design and Development
Master’s Degree in Product Design and Development, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
Two editions per year starting in September and February. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
Spanish. Some materials or lectures will be in English.
Year 2018-2019: (Spanish Edition): 9.400 € (plus 500 € registration fee)
- To accredit a university degree, college or Bachelor’s certificate from an academic training that has as a method the project process in any of its areas. Preferably degrees in Design and degrees in Industrial Design Engineering.
- Those who do not have a university degree will have the right to apply, by virtue of their proven professional experience, for an accreditative Diploma.
What are the latest technologies and materials to develop a product? What methods and processes allow us to obtain innovative product concepts?
The training programme’s itinerary of the Master in Product Design and Development ranges from the initial concept to the different phases of the design and engineering process to the final product development.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Product Concept focuses on enhancing the initial stage of the design project with methods and resources that allow us to obtain innovative concepts. The Postgraduate Diploma in Product Development focuses on providing solid knowledge on the latest manufacturing technologies offered by the industry and the different materials available in the market, to develop the product in the simplest, most efficient and economical way possible.
The master's degree is aimed at specializing and updating professionals and postgraduates from different sectors, especially professionals in the field of design and product development engineering. Most of the professionals who collaborate in teaching the master come from these areas.
One of the key points of the success of the Master in Product Design is the relationship with the companies that collaborate with the course, since they carry out a continuous follow-up of the briefings of the proposed projects. The visits to technological centers and companies allow a very direct contact with the current professional reality. Some of the companies, which have their own design and production, and with which we have been collaborating since they started or are currently collaborating, are: Play, Hewlett Packard, Cosmic, Roca Sanitario, Santa&Cole, Simon, Figueras, Valira, Lamp Lighting, Educa Borras, Laken, El Naturalista, Teck-Rock, Zobele Group, Esportiva Aksa, Pando, IMC Toys, Taurus, Solac, Crevin, Signes, FujiFilm y Madel.
- Provide resources that facilitate the obtaining of new concepts for innovative products.
- Know the current situation of the professional practice of product design and its future prospects.
- Relate the project activity with the debate and analysis of social and cultural aspects of contemporary production.
- Provide solid knowledge about the latest technologies in the industry and the different materials that the market offers, in order to develop the product in the most simple, effective and economical way.
- Learn about the technological viability and the production costs of a project to take the best decisions in the course of its development.
- Study and assess the concrete decisions that are taken on a product development project through the exhibition and discussion of real projects carried out by companies.
- Learn to use different CAD (Computer Aided Design) / CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) tools that allow to correctly define and analyze the product and exchange information in an agile and dynamic way.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams to manage new products.
- Ability to identify opportunities and define design concepts.
- Ability to argue and represent concepts and to express and defend design proposals and technical decisions.
- Ability to carry out new product projects, from the conceptual phase to the technical development.
- Ability to assess the functional, aesthetic, cultural, technological, economic and communication implications of the new product to be developed.
- Ability to apply the creative techniques of reference, as well as the most effective management and expression resources.
- Ability to apply the knowledge acquired from the selection of materials, transformation processes and structural and kinematic simulation, to the project of redesign or optimization of a product.
- Ability to use the prototypes as a validation tool for the company projects carried out.
- Ability to apply CAD / CAM / CAE tools, to generate any 3D geometry, quality rendered images and videos of assembly and operation of the product.