Postgraduate in Art Direction
Postgraduate Diploma in Art Direction, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering
From February to July.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 5 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
Spanish. It is advisable to have some basic English knowledge, given that some materials or lectures might be given in this language.
Year 2018-2019: 4.900 € (plus 500 € in concept of registration fee).
- Graduate Degree in design
- Bachelor’s in communication and Advertising
- Bachelor’s in Fine Arts
- Professional profiles related to the expressive and creative universe, photography, art, fashion, illustration, etc.
- Journalists, architects, psychologists, or academics with proven experience who can provide a professional portfolio in the creative field.
For acceptance, they must provide a portfolio showing their knowledge and skills in the area of graphic and/or audiovisual expression.
What is the art director’s role in the complex task of visual and graphic conceptualization of messages in a context like the current one?
In the very near future every company will require an art director, responsible for the aesthetic strategy, who unifies the corporate messages and who helps the company to connect with its customer in the most sensitive and direct way.
The Art Director conceptualizes and directs. It is the creative director in charge of the visual and graphic messages conception. It is the one who mainly takes responsibility for defining the aesthetic strategy. Investigates and elaborates the specific universe of visual referents to propose and lead specialists, graphic designers, photographers, illustrators, architects, directors... to control the aesthetic unity of the project.
The Master’s Degree in Design and Art Direction is articulated through two postgraduate courses, the Postgraduate Diploma in Design and Communication Strategies, and the Postgraduate Diploma in Art Direction. Its main aim is to train professionals capable of having a strategic and global view of communication, with a command of the art director’s competences and functions, to create and manage projects in the field of visual messages.
Postgraduate Diploma in Art Direction
The structure of the programme is based on the following four subject modules:
1. Theoretical framework. Art Direction, society and context.
- Aesthetic and market
- The origin of the cool aesthetic
- The art director in cinema and advertising
- Graphic Direction
- The multi channel art director
- Exhibition of the creative process
- The photographer and the art director
- Art and cinema direction
2. Languages, imageries and aesthetic categories
- Analysis of the still and movement image
- Attributes. Imaginaries and market trends
- Aesthetic categories of the 20th and 21st Centuries
- Expression. Genre, style, tone and colour.
- Typography and image.
- The lightning language. Photography and video.
- Images of the 20th and 21st Centuries
- Scene stories
- Narrative structure
- The narrative brain
- Narrative structure
- Sequential structure
3. Method for generating new possible worlds
- DDDD method. Discover/Define/Develop/Direct
- Context: background, referents, trends, field study, image, word, narrative and expression.
- COCOTRANS (copy, combine, transform)
- Wall Concept and Concept Board
- SVU (Synthetic Visual Universe)
- Production and properties
4. A project is a journey
- Final project exercise
- Presentation workshop
- Film credits
- Dress a perfume
- World tour
- Train new professionals with a strategic thinking and view to communication and design, to achieve real and efficient solutions to problems.
- Highlight the central role of strategic communication as a factor of analysis, differentiation and positioning, both for organizations in the private sector and those of the public sector.
- Stimulate the skills of students and provide them with tools so that they can design a multichannel and global strategic action.
- Run practical exercises in real contexts, reflecting on the changes and trends that new media (Paid, Owned, Earned) are incorporating in communication and design.
- Train professionals to theoretical and practical level within the creation and management of projects in the visual field, with the aim of mastering the competences and functions of the art director.
- Promote immersion in audiovisual culture, encouraging multidisciplinarity and the interrelation of languages and creative platforms (music, theatre, film, photography, audiovisual resources, performance, etc.).
- Establish different lines of theoretical and practical work for the analysis and control of efficiency of the audiovisual persuasive message.
- Ability to plan a comprehensive project of strategic multichannel communication, from diagnosis to the final presentation.
- Ability to analyse the environment, based on communicative needs, and determine which are the key elements, the groups of interest and the processes that intervene directly and indirectly in the scope of our action, and specify a Value Proposition.
- Ability to understand, assimilate and use the diversity of languages, media and channels in order to articulate comprehensive communication strategies capable of connecting customers with their users.
- Ability to understand the bases of communication at a biological level and apply them to persuasive projects.
- Ability to apply and adapt the different knowledge implicit in the design discipline in different communication devices with a predefined purpose.
- Ability to establish their own criteria in the decision making in creative processes and argue them after analysing and comparing different options.
- Ability to understand different audiovisual records by their morphological and semantic attributes and apply them in creative projects.
- Skill in the generation of new possible worlds from disruptive project methods.
- Ability to coordinate or lead multidisciplinary teams who work on a specific project, creating an instructional, clear and stimulating edition.
- Skills in the exposition, argumentation and presentation of projects in public.
- Ability to work in a team and acceptance of roles in complex situations.
Management and teaching staff